Chris and Danika Garlotta have been traveling full-time since they quit their jobs in 2014, and they showcase their insights on their luxury travel blog, No Destinations. Their most recent journey was a foodie trek through three Southern California cities, where they got a preview of the deals and special menus offered during January’s California Restaurant Month. On their trip, the duo ate upscale Mexican with skyline and bay views in San Diego, saw Temecula Valley wine country from above on a hot air balloon ride, and relaxed in an oceanfront luxury hotel in Dana Point. Danika shared the couple's favorite memories from the trip below.
1. What was the top highlight of your trip to California?
2. What were your impressions of San Diego’s culinary scene?
I love how it’s still very much casual, yet the offerings seem to be getting much more sophisticated.
3. What were the best dishes you ate while there?
4. What else did you do in San Diego between meals?
We visited breweries and bars and went to our favorite dessert place, Extraordinary Desserts.
5. Which wineries in Temecula did you enjoy the most?
6. What stood out about your Temecula experience?
7. You visited two luxury oceanfront properties in Dana Point—The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel and Monarch Beach Resort. What makes those two properties so special?
It's a five-star experience right on the beach. The properties were both stunning and seeing those views of the beach made it extra special.
8. What’s the best thing you ate while in Dana Point?
Oh that's tough... Chris and I both agree that it was dinner at Bourbon Steak. It was such a cool experience with really great cocktails and service. Everyone who worked there seemed to be experts in what they were doing. From the cocktails to the cuts of steak—it was all perfect!
9. Which picture or social media post best sums up your trip and why?
This one [above] of me walking on the beach. For me Southern California is all about being relaxed and laid back and taking the time to catch a sunset.