YouTuber Alex Tienda is no stranger to California's bike trails, having spent lots of time traveling throughout the state on two wheels (while Instagramming along the way). Recently Tienda came back to check out some of the trails, sights, and eats on the route of the 2019 AMGEN Tour of California, including Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe.
1. What were the top highlights of your trip?
I didn’t have a fixed plan but instead decided to roam and explore, which turned out to be a great idea. Everywhere I went I was constantly finding bike trails that took me from cozy neighborhoods to scenic lakes, to the serenity of snow-capped mountains. Two standouts were the bike trail along the American River, which was very well preserved, and an amazing ride in South Lake Tahoe.
2. What’s the best meal you had while in Sacramento?
I had a delicious pepperoni pizza at Paesanos!
3. Can you describe your bike ride on the American River Trail? Any tips for cycling in this area?
It was very enjoyable and great for riding without dealing with traffic. My tip would be (mostly for visitors since locals seem to be very aware of it), to be considerate of other cyclists. Ride on the right side of the lane to make way for faster riders to pass. Don’t forget to take a selfie on the Golden Gate replica bridge next to the Sacramento University!
4. Name your top three must-sees (or must-dos or must-eats) from the trip.
Ride at dawn in the American River bike trail. Take a bike ride along the bike trails in South Lake Tahoe from your hotel to the Fallen Leaf Lake. And go snowboarding at Heavenly—I didn't actually get to do that, but I really wanted to!
5. What do you think the benefits are to exploring a destination by bike?
You have the freedom to explore at your own pace using different roads, bike trails through nature, and neighborhoods. Along the way, you get to experience the fresh air, smells and atmosphere from the places you pass through in a very fun and healthy way.
6. Do you have any advice for those traveling to these destinations during the Amgen Tour of California?
Study the route from each stage beforehand so you can plan ahead and find the best places to enjoy the race. Look for the most amazing backgrounds to take pictures (there are many!). And if you can't bring your own bike, look for a bike rental and reserve your bike before they run out!
7. What’s the one photo (or social post) that best sums up your trip and why?
This photo in South Lake Tahoe, because that was the day I enjoyed the most, riding by snowy mountains and amazing scenery along very enjoyable bike trails.