As is typical during the West’s fire season, there are several active fires in California. Most are burning in rural, mountainous regions in the inland north and central part of the state.
A short portion of Highway 101 north of Santa Barbara is closed due to the Alisal Fire but tourism businesses in the city remain open.
Parts of Lassen, Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks are closed. Yosemite and other national parks remain open.
Travelers should call ahead to lodging providers and visitors’ bureaus at their intended destinations.
- Here is a collection of California’s local and regional tourism offices.
- For the latest information on wildfires, visit the Cal Fire website.
- For road closures, visit the California Department of Transportation.
- For travel information on state parks facilities, visit the California Department of Parks & Recreation.
- For real-time air quality readings, and other travel information for the West Coast, visit West Coast Travel Facts.
Anyone sensitive to air quality levels should consult real-time resources and refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s tips for protecting yourself from wildfire smoke.